When Harry Met Sally…
Sally: [Crying hysterically] And I’m going to be 40!
Harry: In eight years!
Sally: But it’s there! It’s like a big dead end!
I can’t afford a Harley so here’s my mid-life crisis, 40 challenges to be completed before my 40th birthday in March 2018, so less than two years away. Sally had it easy!
Some are more challenging than others, but they’ve all been chosen because they will stretch me in different ways. Whether it’s learning a new skill, testing my commitment, trying something I’ve always shied away from or finally doing something I’ve always fancied, this list doesn’t contain any easy options.
If you can help with any of them or would like to get involved, that’s brilliant! It’s my list, but the more it is a shared experience the more I am going to get from it, so please join in.
- parkrun in 40 different locations – completed on 27th January 2018, see details HERE
- Run every street in Cheltenham
- Compete in a World Championships
- Jump between Adam and Eve on the top of Tryfan – Read about my experience HERE
- Qualify as a running coach – Qualified October 2016! Read more HERE
- Increase my income by at least £3k a year
- Climb twice a week for 6 weeks
- Go vegetarian for 30 days – Done, sort of! Update HERE
- Swim twice a week every week for 6 weeks
- Take a stranger for dinner and learn about their life
- Record a podcast
- Write and publish a story of at least 10,000 words
- Learn to canoe – Beginners course starts 19th May!
- Skip for 2 minutes unbroken
- Take a yoga class
- Do sun salutations every morning for 30 days
- Compete in a bike race
- Work with a life coach – online coaching begins 26th April!
- Run another ultra distance event (at least 40 miles)
- Attempt an eating challenge (Grillstock?)
- Interview 10 people for “Who James Met Running“
- Learn and practice harmonica every day for 30 days
- Solo wild camp on a mountain
- Sit and watch a sunrise
- Sit and watch a sunset
- Take a week long holiday that doesn’t revolve around anything (no races or festivals!)
- See a West End show
- Send 10 handwritten postcards/letters
- Memorise the poem “If…“
- Get a tattoo
- Buy a bespoke tailored suit
- Compete at an obstacle race (and that’s compete, not complete)
- Start a conversation with 10 strangers in one day
- Make a piece of furniture from scratch
- Take singing lessons
- Get to the top of a hill every day for 30 days
- Go 30 days without television/social media
- Write a blog post for every one of the 39 challenges